CADRE has opened registration for the 2018 DRK–12 PI Meeting to invited DRK–12 and STEM+C PIs. (Note: a reminder invitation will be sent out later this week to invited PIs who have not yet registered. Please keep an eye on your inbox). The meeting will be held June 6–8 in Washington, D.C. We have also announced a Call for Proposals (session submission deadline: March 13), and are happy to help identify and connect project PIs around crosscutting session topics. Thank you to the 2018 DRK–12 PI Meeting Committee members who have helped design the Call for Proposals: Jodi Asbell-Clarke, Ximena Dominguez, Chad Dorsey, Christian Doubler, Dana Grosser-Clarkson, Daniel Heck, Benjamin Kelcey, Eric Klopfer, Okhee Lee, and Joyce Malyn-Smith. For those attending the meeting, we encourage you to contact your NSF program director to set up a time to talk at the PI meeting.
CADRE has also convened two DRK–12 topical groups: broadening participation (chaired by Arthur Powell) and early learning (chaired by Doug Clements and Julie Sarama). The groups have met to plan syntheses of what we are learning in these areas through our DRK–12 research. If you are interested in contributing to either effort, contact email@example.com.
Finally, as we get closer to the spring conference season, we encourage you to attend a session featuring your DRK–12 colleagues, including those led by CADRE Fellows. Read more below.
The CADRE Team
DRK–12 to Discuss Modeling at NSTA and #NSTAchat
#NSTAChat on Scientific Modeling in K–5
March 8, 2018 at 9:00 PM ET
DRK-12 Presenters: Cory Forbes (@corytforbes), Sara Lacy (@saralacy1), Lane Seeley (@laneseeley)
Join us for a Twitter chat at #NSTAchat on scientific modeling in grades K-5, facilitated by NSTA. DRK–12 PIs Cory Forbes, Sara Lacy, and Lane Seeley will be answering questions (such as those below) and sharing their expertise. Bring your own questions and comments and join the conversation!
- What does modeling look like in the classroom?
- What makes models and modeling ‘scientific’?
- What should students do with models in the classroom?
- How do we support students to engage in scientific modeling?
- Where can we find resources on modeling in the classroom?
CADRE-organized Sessions at NSTA 2018
Discussion in both sessions will center on research-based examples of how students can engage in modeling practice.
Using Models to Support STEM Learning in Grades K–5: Examples and Insights from NSF's DRK–12 Program
Thursday, March 15, 5:00–6:00 PM | Georgia World Congress Center, A408
Presenter(s): Sara Lacy, Cory Forbes, Brian Reiser, and Carolyn Staudt
Using Models to Support STEM Learning in Grades 6–12: Examples and Insights from NSF's DRK–12 Program
Friday, March 16, 8:00–9:00 AM | Georgia World Congress Center, A402
Presenter(s): Daniel Damelin, Joseph Krajcik, Irene Lee, and Ilana Schoenfeld
DRK–12 Websites, Publications, and Presentations
Thank you to everyone who filled out our recent survey on project websites, upcoming presentations, and recent publications. Congratulations on all you have accomplished in the past year! We use this information to update project pages, the event calendar, and the resource library on cadrek12.org.
Attending one of the conferences below? See which DRK–12 projects will be presenting their work:
- 2018 CRA-W Grad Cohort for Women Workshop; San Francisco, CA
- 2018 International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS); London, UK
- 33rd CSUN Assistive Technology Conference; San Diego, CA
- 34th Annual National Resource Center for Paraeducators (NCRP) Conference; Seattle, WA
- American Association of Physics Teachers 2018 AAPT Summer Meeting; Washington, DC
- American Educational Research Association 2018 AERA Annual Meeting; New York, NY
- American Society for Engineering Education 2018 ASEE Annual Conference; Salt Lake City, UT
- Midwestern Psychological Association Annual Meeting; Chicago, IL
- National Association for Research in Science Teaching 2018 Annual International NARST Conference; Atlanta, GA
- National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics 2018 Annual NCSM Conference; Washington, DC
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics 2018 NCTM Annual Meeting and Exposition; Washington, DC
- National Council on Measurement in Education 2018 NCME Annual Meeting; New York, NY
- National Science Teachers Association 2018 National NSTA Conference; Atlanta, GA
- Research Council on Mathematics Learning (RCML) 2018 Conference; Baton Rouge, LA
- SIGCSE 2018 CS For All Conference; Baltimore, MD
- Society for Research on Educational Effectiveness SREE Spring 2018 Conference; Washington, DC
View all submissions–project websites, new publications, and upcoming presentations–in Excel spreadsheets. Presentations by CADRE Fellows are denoted by an asterisk.
For those on currently funded DRK–12 projects who have not yet filled out the survey, we encourage you to do so!
Open Education Resources (OER) Webinar Resources
Thank you to everyone who joined us for the February 14th webinar on OER in STEM education. The topic generated a lot of interest, good questions from participants, and the following resources:
- Explore NSF-funded OER Projects and Products
- Contribute to a growing list of OER Resources
Newsbites from DRK–12 & the NSF
We're pleased to share this quarter's news from DRK–12 projects and people, as well as our sister resource networks who serve other NSF funding programs (ATECentral, CAISE, CIRCL, CS for All Teachers, MSPnet, and STELAR). In addition to our newsletter digest, we disseminate your news items on our website and social media. Let us hear from you!
News from DRK–12 Projects & Awardees
- Calendar Time Must Die
Blog | In this MyNCTM blog, Amy Parks shares why she disagrees with the practice of Calendar Time.
- Design, Selection, and Implementation of Instructional Materials for the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
Publication| Several DRK–12 PIs were on the planning committee for the 2018 National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine workshop on instructional materials for NGSS.
- Morehouse Men Dream to Teach K–12 Students
Video | The NSF featured the work of Morehouse College DR K–12 Pre-service STEM Teacher Initiative in a recent video.
- We Know More than We Can Tell
Video | Jodi Asbell-Clarke gave a TEDx Beacon Street talk on how to unleash the potential of all learners.
News from NSF Networks
- 11 Tips for a Better Advisory Board Meeting
In their CAISE blog post, Sue Allen and her project team share recommendations for lively and productive advisory board meetings.
- MSPnet Academy: STEM Integration and the NGSS - Melding Engineering with Science and Mathematics
On February 15, Jeff Rosen, Jayma Koval, Kathy Kennedy, and Katherine Soriano led a webinar discussing their projects' integrated curriculum, partnerships with local schools, professional development for teachers, and results to date.
- New ITEST Projects
The December STELAR newsletter announced several new ITEST projects.
- Webinar: Accessible Cyberlearning: What You Need to Know to Create an Accessible Cyberlearning Program
On January 24, CIRCL hosted a webinar on accessibility, sharing steps that projects can take to make their activities and resources more accessible and universally designed.
See our Upcoming CADRE & NSF Network Events page for ATE, CIRCL, CAISE, CS for All Teachers, MSPnet, or STELAR, events that may be of interest to you.
The following funding, publication, and career opportunities, listed by deadline, may be of interest to you or your DRK-12 colleagues.
- February 28, 2018 - Smart and Connected Communities (S&CC) Full Proposal Deadline
- March 13, 2018 - EPSCoR Research Infrastructure Improvement Track 4: EPSCoR Research Fellows (RII Track-4) Full Proposal Deadline
- April 4, 2018 - NSF INCLUDES Full Proposal Deadline
- April 18, 2018 - Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers Program (IUCRC) Preliminary Proposal Deadline
- March 1, 2018 - Science and Children | Visual Literacy
- March 1, 2018 - Science Scope | Critical Thinking Strategies
- March 31, 2018 - International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education | Abstracts due for 2019 Special Issue - Maker-centered Science and Mathematics Education: Learning, Teaching and Environment Design
- April 2, 2018 - Educational Leadership | Classroom Management Reimagined
- April 9, 2018 - Mathematics Teacher | 2019 Focus Issue: Mathematical Misconceptions
For other publication opportunities, including those with ongoing submissions, see CADRE's list of Publications for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers (PDF).
Project Tip! Looking for project management resources?
Explore our NSF Project Management Tools for tips on writing NSF reports, FAQs on the usage of person months, and resources on topics ranging from mentoring and evaluation to advisory boards and dissemination!
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements include:
- Spotlight on Teacher Preparation Models and Programs
- CADRE Postdoc Professional Growth Opportunity (selected postdocs will be announced mid-March)
- CADRE Opens 2018 DRK–12 PI Meeting Registration and Call for Proposals
A complete archive of our newsletters and announcements is available on cadrek12.org.
Subscribe | Create CADRE Account