DRK-12 Research and Products
- Publication | Linear Algebra and Geometry is aimed at preservice and practicing high school mathematics teachers and advanced high school students looking for an addition to or replacement for calculus. The materials are organized around carefully sequenced problems that help students...
An Examination of Credit Recovery Students’ Use of Computer-Based Scaffolding in a Problem-Based, Scientific Inquiry UnitPublication | In this study, we investigated how high school credit recovery students worked in small groups and used computer-based scaffolds to conduct scientific inquiry in a problem-based learning unit centered on water quality.
- Publication | This study uses a mixed-method sequential exploratory design to examine influences on urban adolescents’ engagement and disengagement in school.
Developing a Three-Dimensional View of Science Teaching: A Tool to Support Preservice Teacher DiscoursePublication | This study utilized the methodology of Improvement Science “Plan, Do Study, Act” cycles in order to design a Three-Dimensional Mapping Tool (3D Map) as a visual scaffold for use in science teaching methods courses to support preservice teachers in unpacking the components...
- Publication | Use these ideas to diagnose and address common conceptual obstacles that inhibit students’ success.
- Presentation | NSF program directors provide information on the DRK-12 program and solicitation in this webinar.
- Publication | Authors investigate in-service teachers’ scientific engagement in a blended online science inquiry course. A key implication of this study is the importance of instructional attention to epistemology and affect to create online learning environments that promote productive...
Automated text scoring and real‐time adjustable feedback: Supporting revision of scientific arguments involving uncertaintyPublication | This paper describes HASbot, an automated text scoring and real‐time feedback system designed to support student revision of scientific arguments.
- Tool | This list of individuals and organizations providing evaluation services to DRK-12 projects is based on data entered by project members on the cadrek12.org site.
- Publication | In this article, authors argue for deliberate attention to clarifiable ambiguity as a critical aspect of attending to meaning and as a necessary precursor to productive use of student mathematical thinking.
- Tool | Sortable Excel lists of DRK-12 recent publications, upcoming presentations, and project websites for 2018-19.
From Pilots to Products: Notes from a Gathering of Researchers and Developers at the 2018 DRK-12 PI MeetingTool | This document captures the ideas and experiences shared by DRK–12 awardees who attended a forum to explore different routes toward product sustainability. It includes notes on types of DRK-12 products, use and adoption of products, resources needed to support dissemination...
- Publication | In this article, it is argued that the construct of rightful presence, and the coconstructed “making present” practices that give rise to moments of rightful presence, is 1 way to consider how to make sense of the historicized and relational nature of consequential learning.
Framing, Adapting, and Applying: Learning to Contextualize Science Activity in Multilingual Science ClassroomsPublication | This article looks at context-based approaches to science instruction. Authors studied the effects of changes to a set of secondary science teacher education programs, all of which were redesigned with attention to the Secondary Science Teaching with English Language and...
- Tool | This document features issues and approaches that were discussed by a “critical friends group” in the process of providing input to a DRK-12 project on dissemination strategies. While not comprehensive, the considerations listed may serve as a reminder of what to think...